The main goal is to give interested Kenyan university teachers the opportunity to gain in-depth knowledge of the model of German universities of applied sciences.
The two German universities (HNU and THI) are following an application-oriented scientific approach, which focuses on the requirements in practice and qualifies students for the labour market. Inter alia by integrating internship modules in companies in their curricula, the applied study programs are less concentrated around the scientific-theoretical background.
Within this framework, the project of Hochschule Neu-Ulm (HNU) and Technische Hochschule Ingolstadt (THI) wants to achieve the following objectives:
- Kenyan university teachers and junior academics gain in-depth knowledge of the model of the German University of Applied Sciences (UAS)
- Personal and institutional contacts between Kenya and Germany are reinforced and established
- Kenyan university teachers and junior academics are able to design and deliver teaching activities based on the model of the German University of Applied Sciences (UAS), adapted to Kenyan requirements
- Intercultural understanding is strengthened on both sides
Building on these program objectives, HNU and THI are pursuing the following specific project goals:
- The qualification objectives should cover both, business management as well as technical-engineering. For this purpose, HNU and THI pool their expertise in the area of business administration and engineering sciences / technology and cover the specific features of both disciplines in the qualification measures.
THI will cover especially the field of renewable energies where HNU covers the areas of Business Administration and applied Information Management
- A core element of project are qualification measures that equip the 17 kenyan academics with knowledge about the geman model of UAS. The qualification measures cover not just application-oriented teaching but also the elements of application-oriented research and knowledge & technology transfer. Application-oriented research and research-based learning are key elements for the German UAS and are depending on each other. The university and the regional anchoring of the universities with companies and diverse interest groups are central goals of a transfer strategy for German UAS.
- Another important goal of the project was the sustainability of the qualification measures. Therefore the participants generated individual recommendations to introduce concepts for UAS in their Universities.
All individual and institutional recommendations of the participants for the introduction of elements of the german model of UAS can be found in the blog post. This blog is aimed at establishing a a platform where experiences with the UAS model can be discussed and best practices can be exchanged, to intensify the personnel and institutional contacts between Germany and Kenya